Monday, January 19, 2009

No thanks, Hanks.

Tom Hanks is an actor with a loud Political Voice. He is really good at what he does: play pretend in front of a camera. As absurd as it sounds, people who pretend to be others on the big screen have a credibility boost when it comes to political pursuasion.

Please do not take this as a personal attack on Mr. Hanks. He is villified in the local press for some disputes with a local contractor - the locals hate him enough. I just love the hypocrisy of the Hollywood Elite.

Politics is showbiz for the ugly (just think about Madeline Albright and Janet Reno). Show biz therefore is an entry point for the beautiful to the political stage - Hollywood gets to bypass the trenches of warfare in the arena of ideas and go strait to the microphone for their many sound bites. Hollywood is the only competitve group I know of that gives out awards to themselves.

I nominate Ben Petzinger for best bald head of 2008! That's ugly! - I'm now very qualified for politics!

So, Tom Hanks jumped up on the political stage and called Mormons who participated financially in the DEMOCRATIC PROCESS for the approval of Proposition 8 (look it up yourselves) as UN-AMERICAN. He also called the Constitution "Self Correcting". Let's explore these two ideas.....

UN-AMERICAN. I'll quote Tom from one of his stirring moments on the big screen. "THERE'S NO CRYING IN POLITICS!!!". Ya, I know - baseball. His strike out is the notion that a demographic united in purpose and funds which had an effect on the outcome of an election is somehow UN-AMERICAN. In this case - no person was elected, but Mormons (not all) mobilized to support and protect the definition of marriage. An IDEA was protected. Gay Marriage is an affront to the traditional definition of marriage. Enough people in California agreed with the notion that the definition of traditional marriage should be preserved. WE LIVE IN A REPUBLIC. WE HOLD ELECTIONS and THEY HAVE CONSEQUENCES.

SELF-CORRECTING CONSTITUTION. I'll have to get into this another day. Lunch is over. But let me say one thing: The Constitution is not a suicide note.

Tom Hanks - thank you for your opinion that registered voters and private citizens of the U.S.A. who freely donated to a cause they believed in are UN AMERICAN. This is definitely "Crying in Politics" and you should be embarassed.

It would be interesting to know if Tom has donated to a cause and won. Does that make him UN AMERICAN in winning over an unorganized and out-voted minority.

THE MAJORITY RULES - THE MINORITY HAS RIGHTS. You have a right to re-group and defeat Proposition 8. That is the AMERICAN WAY and Mr. Hanks is a hypocrite.

He should have some RANTZ with his NUGGETS AND KOOL AID.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As far as I'm concerned, Tom Hanks gets a free pass for 'Saving Private Ryan.' However, he's going to blow it if this next movie stinks.